Re: [libreplanet-discuss] support me

From: Sytse Sijbrandij
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] support me
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 23:20:13 -0700

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your email!

We need the open core business model to be a sustainable business and
we don't plan to change it.

We understand the hesitance of the FSF towards this model and respect
their wish to only use free software.

It should be obvious how to get the community edition from the
homepage. We're prepared to make changes if needed.

Right now the homepage has an obvious download button, that links to
https://about.gitlab.com/downloads/ this is the recommended way to
install and it contains the source code (ruby is an interpreted
language) although as plain files, not as a git repo.

A bit lower on the page the term 'open source' is a link that links to
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-ce/tree/master

For production instances the downloaded version is a better user
experience than the source installation. For development we recommend
our GitLab Development Kit
https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab-development-kit

A separate website creates more confusion than it solves, we tried
gitlab.org and gitlab.com before but people were confused.

I'm afraid that adding a link to the source code next to the download
link would lead to more people installing from source and complaining
that is too hard. We just ended two years of hearing about that by
making the download more prominent. We do have a contributing page
https://about.gitlab.com/contributing/ and a list of installation
options https://about.gitlab.com/installation/

Naming the CE version GitLab makes it hard to figure out what people
are talking about, GitLab CE, EE, CI and .com helps prevent
misunderstandings.

Best regards,
Sytse Sijbrandij
CEO GitLab B.V.