Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The future of Free Software and Free Society

From: Michael Siepmann
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The future of Free Software and Free Society
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 11:04:16 -0600

On 03/11/2015 02:00 AM, Giuseppe Molica wrote:

>> Indubitably, but that requires education! We need packs of information
>> we can hand to teachers, educators, homeschoolers, and retirees. The
>> material needs to be crisp, clean, intelligent, have a
>> theme/uniformity, and use accessible language.

> As I said, the question is that people don't care about their rights. In
> this list, we talk about freedom, copyright law, copyleft; but what
> about "normal" people?

I'd say that most people /do/ care about their rights but often appear
not to care because they (a) don't clearly perceive and feel threats we
perceive and feel and/or (b) don't perceive ways to protect their rights
that they feel capable of doing.

How most people act is driven by what they perceive and feel, not by
what they think intellectually.  A key challenge for software freedom
advocates is to grasp how different the world looks and feels to other
people, and to find effective ways to make software freedom a visible,
attractive, and achievable goal for more of us.

Michael Siepmann, Ph.D.
The Tech Design Psychologistâ„¢
Make your technology more supportiveâ„¢
303-835-0501   TechDesignPsych.com   OpenPGP: 6D65A4F7