Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Why contains in nonfree that's not ethical?

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Why contains in nonfree that's not ethical?
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 20:28:41 -0500

I talk a little about running Virtual Box in my x61s write up.

http://50.80.140.55/photo_album/chron/desktop/thinkpad/x61s.html

I've only seen Qemu run on an Elive CD, and it was awesome, but I don't know
how to run it myself.  Virtual Box is click and drool easy now.

I don't think you will get into non free software is you use a libre
distribution like Trisquel, or stick to the main Debian repositories.  Life
is easier in many other ways if you do that.

This has worked well for me, but tsclient, krdc, remmina, etc, have worked
better.  I've managed to run old Windows systems by installing them or by
making a virtual machine out of old hard drives.  It's easier to get IT
people to keep a Windows machine for you and fix it so you can do your tasks
from within a modern window manager.

The disadvantage is that you are dealing with malicious software.  Software
owners hate your freedom and every foothold on your computer is bad news for
you.

I have spent a good deal of time telling medical OEMs that they would be
better off with free software.  They actually listen but defeatism runs deep.
Windows Vista and every version since  has made people more receptive.