Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 11:08:09 -0700

By the way, here's a concrete example of derivative culture that is
*not* like a simple translation:

I saw this crappy thing posted by Mozilla that uses all the bullshit
propaganda of DRM-pushing corporations:
https://stacy.makes.org/thimble/MTUxMzI5MjI4OA==/what-is-drm

That thing is *missing* a license indication. However, it is part of
this "webmaker" thing that encourages remixing. So, I fixed it:

https://wolftune.makes.org/thimble/MjAxNzU5MTgwOA==/what-is-drm

Now, the fixed version was much easier to do than writing the whole
thing myself. The fixed version is far better and more valuable because
it accurately describes DRM as restrictions management, not right
management etc.

I marked it modified. My version does *not* represent the views of the
original author precisely. Who cares? The original author has bullshit
views. My version is an improvement.

Now, you want to promote the idea that my improvements should be
censored? It's more important that we can censor people adapting RMS
even if that means we get censored ourselves?

The freedoms of culture here are totally important. And we simply have
to accept that this goes all ways. I can and should fix propaganda from
corporate crap, and we must also tolerate people adapting RMS' views in
ways we might not like. Respecting these freedoms is not about false
attribution or misrepresentation.

--
Aaron Wolf
co-founder, Snowdrift.coop