Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives,

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives,
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 13:25:34 -0700

The "you can make an original thing" is completely naive.

You know, you can write your own encyclopedia article too, why do you
need freedoms to use or modify Wikipedia?

You can write your own software, why do you need freedom to distribute
modified versions of mine?

Etc. etc.

This entire line of thinking is wrong.

I edit Wikipedia not to misrepresent something but to fix run-on
sentences, organize paragraphs better…

If people could edit RMS' works, it doesn't remove the original. And no,
they cannot just as easily or just as effectively write new articles
from scratch. That is a different thing, it is not the same result.

The "just write something original" is completely missing the nature of
"originality" (see
http://blog.ninapaley.com/2009/12/28/the-cult-of-originality/ ) *and* is
also saying, "we can hamper this one area of culture out of fear of
misrepresentation because there are other areas of cultural work that
remain unhampered."

The defenders of ND are also being very glib here. You're saying, "I
don't myself understand or care about the cultural freedoms or
derivative work you are talking about, so I can simply conclude that
they have no real value. Since *I* wasn't going to do this work, it's
not a problem to me, so it must be just a problem for you, and you
should just adapt and stop complaining."

--
Aaron Wolf
co-founder, Snowdrift.coop