Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives]

From: Logan Streondj
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives]
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 08:41:41 -0400

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 07:24:14AM -0700, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> Logan,
>
> I don't think your reply helps the cause for promoting free culture here.
>
> Yoni's argument about "computers are all the same and people are
> different" may be technically untrue, but the reason it is a bad
> argument is because even if it *were* true, it is not a basis for
> supporting ND. Derivative works don't deny the original author's
> original work. Yoni's conclusion doesn't follow even *if* his premise
> were true, so in this case, it doesn't help to attack the premise
> because that tacitly accepts the logic of the argument.

yes, you are correct that her/his argument doesn't stand in
either case.

I just had to respond since the "humans are better than all
else in creation" thinking, could lead to some horrific
consequences, including the destruction of the environment,
and the Artilect War.

> Also, the evolution of language and Shakespeare etc. is a false argument
> because, while it is a long time, 70 years after author's death is not
> enough time for language to evolve that greatly. It does make older
> works have a different character, but not the extreme level you were
> implying. We still, in principle, have a time when all works will be
> public domain.

yes, that is correct, I forgot about copyright expiration.