Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives]

From: Robinson Tryon
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives]
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 11:08:22 -0400

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Joshua Gay <jgay@fsf.org> wrote:
> On 05/27/2015 10:16 AM, Aaron Wolf wrote:
>> Yoni,
>>
>> I and others made very clear and practical points about why your
>> decision to move away from CC-BY-SA is not good. Namely, you are
>> incorrect that it allows people to misrepresent you.
>
> This is still not true. I will repeat my example with further detail
> added in to address your previous reply.
>
> I translate RMS's essays. I switch all instances where it says "free
> software" to say "open source" and adjust sentences accordingly. I then
> state on the cover of my book: "This is the official and definitive
> translation of Richard Stallman's work".

Hmmmm.

>  While I might be in compliance
> with a CC BY-SA license, my translation would still clearly be a
> misrepresentation of Stallman and his work.

I'm no lawyer, but I can't possibly imagine that one would be in
compliance with CC-BY-SA if one claimed that. Here's a bit from the
summary of 4.0:

"Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the
license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any
reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor
endorses you or your use."
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/

And from the horse's mouth itself (emphasis mine):

"No endorsement. Nothing in this Public License constitutes or may be
construed as permission to assert or imply that You are, or that Your
use of the Licensed Material is, connected with, or sponsored,
endorsed, OR GRANTED OFFICIAL STATUS by, the Licensor or others
designated to receive attribution as provided in Section
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/legalcode

Cheers,
--R

--