Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The GNU ethical repository criteria will only harm free software.
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 22:04:22 -0400

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 22:22:51 +0200, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
> On 23/10/15 16:02, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> I think we should instead embrace it, and build a ladder to a future
> where it may be rejected. And if one accepts this opinion, as I do,
> one must work hard to ensure that SaaSS doesn't trick anyone.

SaaSS, by definition, can always trick the user---you are not in control
of your computing.[0]  I can imagine ways in which that this risk can be
reduced, but fundamentally, unless you can examine and modify the
_exact instance of_ the software that you run, you are not in control.

[0]: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.html

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker | GNU Maintainer