Re: [libreplanet-discuss] WTFPL Worse License Ever?

From: Mark Holmquist
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] WTFPL Worse License Ever?
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 12:35:51 -0600

(sorry to Aaron for the double-send, I still haven't gotten used to Thunderbird)

On 12/18/2015 11:37 AM, Aaron Wolf wrote:
What's bad is the way http://wtfpl.net describes it and is sorta
anti-copyleft. Also bad about WTFPL is the lack of legal respect or
something, but overall it's no worse than any other highly-compatible
permissive license.

I mean, WTFPL is almost explicitly[0] meant for projects which are not terribly serious or critical. At a guess, it's meant for people who want to write a program that is *fun*, but not have to deal with big legal overhead when sharing it.

And there's nothing wrong with being anti-copyleft, copyleft has its problems, especially in the case of very small programs.

In any case, I'm curious about OP's opinions, because simply posting a license and a few extracts from its website is a poor way to express an argument. Facts are open to interpretation.

[0] I could have sworn Sam's website mentioned this, but I didn't see it at a glance. Maybe it got lost when he moved it off of sam.zoy.org.

--
Mark Holmquist
mtraceur@member.fsf.org