Re: [libreplanet-discuss] crowdfunding free software

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] crowdfunding free software
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:12:40 -0800

https://snowdrift.coop/p/snowdrift/w/en/existingmechanisms

> - if people go for serious targets (six-figure dollar amounts), can they
> realistically budget for the month they spend making videos, preparing
> the rewards, risk factor, etc?

Yes, the fundraising can cover its own costs, but it's still risky and
costly

> - do certain types or project fare better than others?

Of course certain projects fare better. Ones with big excited audience,
with trust and credibility, with reliable history, with the best
marketing, with realistic goals; and, unfortunately, as the article I
already linked emphasized, *proprietary* projects with pay-for-access
restrictions have a better time because they have more ways to offer
exclusivity to donors.

> Maybe these questions are better discussed on a thread on the more
> general issue of crowdfunding though, so I changed the subject line.

https://snowdrift.coop/p/snowdrift/w/en/status-quo-floss for more history

https://snowdrift.coop/p/snowdrift/w/en/othercrowdfunding for full
run-down of crowdfunding platforms at all relevant to free software

We've done a lot more research too and writings on this. Of course, I'm
biased here and can't be objective totally, but we're working on
Snowdrift.coop because we believe other fundraising methods for free
software and free culture are fundamentally inadequate, see the
snowdrift dilemma.

While I'm willing to discuss more about Snowdrift.coop here, it's (A)
not usable immediately so doesn't answer questions of those doing
immediate fundraising and (B) anyone who really wants to engage with us
should join the discuss list https://lists.snowdrift.coop/ or #snowdrift
on freenode.net or otherwise engage with the writings and stuff we've
put together. At the least, I know lots of people have appreciated the
research we've done and find it valuable even though our vision isn't
realized yet.

Cheers,
Aaron

--