[libreplanet-discuss] LibRay solves what problem?

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] LibRay solves what problem?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 01:15:36 -0600

On fsf-community-team@gnu.org Tobias Platen wrote :
Bluray has the same problem, therefore LibRay (http://lib-ray.org/) has
been created as a replacement.

Thanks for the pointer, but I'm unclear about what problem LibRay aims to solve. I've read http://lib-ray.org/reasons.html but I'm still left wondering whom will LibRay help? And how LibRay will help more than delivering a Matroska file using free software-compatible (if not free software-favorable) codecs?

Is LibRay solving a non-problem by pursuing a physical means of conveying movie data when the trend seems (to my mind) to be moving toward network-based delivery?