[libreplanet-discuss] Virtual Reality and user freedom

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Virtual Reality and user freedom
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 09:56:19 +0100

http://ur1.ca/olhtv

This chilling image of Mark Zuckerberg made me think about the impact of
Virtual Reality (VR) on user freedom.

I think at some point there will be a global VR network, and since
companies like Facebook and Google already invested heavily in VR, they
will be the ones setting the rules.

Virtual Reality is not like ordinary software, because it can create
false memories ([0]), cause dissociation and depersonalization ([1]) and
alienate people ([2]). If put in the wrong hands (and it already is), it
can be used as a tool for total control, like in the movie "The Matrix".

How do you think the libre community should prepare for VR? I don't
think we could just sweep this issue under the rug and say "it's just
another category of software", because I think VR can affect user
freedom in a way that no other software can, especially once more
advanced technologies like neural interfaces are developed.

[0]:
https://www.newscientist.com/blog/technology/2006/12/virtual-reality-virtual-memories.html
[1]: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20712501
[2]: