Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Adding "App" to Words to Avoid (or Use with Ca

From: Kip Warner
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Adding "App" to Words to Avoid (or Use with Care) Because They Are Loaded or Confusing
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 17:59:01 -0800

On Thu, 2016-03-03 at 11:34 -0800, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> I appreciate the intention, but I find this proposal misguided. App
> is just short for Application, and F-droid "Apps" are fine other than
> broader issues about the Android ecosystem. Nobody has a trademark on
> the term App, so it's *not* like "Kleenex". The problems with Apps in
> general are not about the term "App".

Hey Aaron,

I'm well aware that colloquially people believe "Apps" is simply a
contraction of "Application". I'm also a fan of F-Droid, but note that
their adoption of the term was long preceded by Google and Apple's
desired use.

My concern also had nothing to do with a trademark. A trademark is
merely one method of influencing human thought towards a particular
product or service, but a corporation need not register a trademark to
do this.

--
Kip Warner -- Senior Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred