Re: [libreplanet-discuss] We need a Great campaign To tell the programme

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] We need a Great campaign To tell the programmers to improve their programs To work well with the screen Reader
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 09:25:20 +0100

On 03/21/2016 12:20 PM, Ali Abdul Ghani wrote:
> hi
> A lot of programs do not work with screen readers
> and Now, the problem has become much Larger
> And its became a problem in the web after the appearance of html5
>
> now aMany Web applications do not work with screen readers
> Most programmers do not care for the  screen reader when writing programs
> This makes the blind use computers with difficulty
> and They can not use a lot of programs
>

> We need a Great campaign To tell the programmers to improve their
> programs To work well with the  screen  Reader
>
> in fact I can not make this campaign Alone and I want your help and
your support

> have fun and be free
> ali miracle

Hi Ali,

I think it is a shame that such an important portion of users are not
given sufficient consideration. Programs should be designed with
accessibility in mind, and there should be strong guidelines to make
sure they can be operated by everyone who can operate a computer.

My suggestion is this: what do you think about adding a field in the
Free Software Directory which says if a program can be used by blind
users or not?

Also, what are your personal suggestions to improve the usability of
programs for blind users? Are there any guidelines online that
developers should follow? Can you tell us more about how a blind
GNU/Linux user would typically use a computer?

I think most developers and designers are simply ignorant about this
issue, and it would really be helpful if someone familiar with it could
give the community some inputs.

I agree with you that a big campaign is needed, so I'm putting the High
Priority Projects maintainers and the FSF in CC. They already listed
accessibility as a high priority project but I am pretty sure you could
help them understand the issues blind users face better and they could
help you organize a campaign.