Re: [libreplanet-discuss] EOMA68 - libre software, libre hardware, and e

From: Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] EOMA68 - libre software, libre hardware, and eco-friendly too!
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 20:17:48 -0300

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 10:52:36AM +1200, Koz Ross wrote:
> I just came across this amazing project:
> https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
>
> Needless to say - I've supported it, because I believe we need more projects
> like this one if we are to free our computing. The fact that they're going
> full libre *and* seeking RYF certification is great *just by itself*, but
> the use of recycling, the eco-friendliness of the project and the *wooden*
> casings are just icing on an amazing cake for me.
>
> I'm just posting it to this list, as I want as many people as possible to hear
> about something which I believe deserves our support (and money).

Note that the A20 SOC comes with a Mali GPU, which does not have a free
driver that I know of. There are reverse engineering efforts, in the
Lima project, but lack of manpower means it has yet to produce a driver
users could install.

You probably can use it as a framebuffer with some simple framebuffer
driver, but this is hardly ideal as the project page seems to imply.

I am always cautious when I see something that says 100% Free when it
comes to hardware support. Of course, they can ship something that they
can claim is 100% Free, but not without missing some important hardware
support. I would love for some future where we will reach an ideal
situation and I try to build it when possible. I think they are trying
to do that too, but the lack of this important information is
disappointing.

Cascardo.