Re: [libreplanet-discuss] EOMA68 - libre software, libre hardware, and e

From: Koz Ross
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] EOMA68 - libre software, libre hardware, and eco-friendly too!
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 08:40:05 +1200

Hi Jim,

I can field these. EOMA68s *all* contain Mali GPUs - however, since the driver
is completely memory-mapped, if you run a libre kernel (as Parabola does), it
would not be included, and hence, would not even run. So the fallback will
occur.

The easiest way would be to use a USB hard drive. The laptop chassis has 2
internal USB ports (most likely for the keyboard and touch panel), so if you
integrated a USB hub, you could connect the drive to that. The hardest part
would be to make the case fit it (although with the 3D printer designs, it
could be done quite easily if you have experience with these things), and also
redesigning the case to allow its insertion and removal.

However, don't take it from me - you can use the CrowdSupply page for the
EOMA68 (https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop) to ask this question
directly of the project founders if you want a definite answer.

--
Koz Ross <koz.ross@retro-freedom.nz>
www.retro-freedom.nz

If you aren't using GPG, you should be! https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en.

Please don't send me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for why.

Proud member of the Open Wireless Movement.
Find out more at https://openwireless.org/

Proud member of Peers, at http://peers.community/ . We grow freedom.