Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Golden Rule Angle for Libre Software Advocacy

From: Logan Streondj
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Golden Rule Angle for Libre Software Advocacy
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:24:25 -0400

On 08/16/16 00:54, Carolina Flores wrote:

> ​Here you have some articles about this subject:
>
> Beyond human: How I became a
> cyborghttp://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140107-how-i-became-a-cyborg
>

> Could hackers break my heart via my pacemaker?
>
>http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34899713​
>
> Wired published the same artcile
> https://www.wired.com/2016/03/go-ahead-hackers-break-heart/​

Great so can probably have a two pronged related campaign.

On the one hand, geared for older Baby Boomers with most of the money,
many of which have already or will be receiving medical implants.
Could talk about some of the libreware alternatives which may be
available, or what work is being done towards developing them.

https://thecustomizewindows.com/2013/06/open-source-pacemaker-and-other-
solutions-the-difficulties/
(difficulties with open source medical devices are mostly to do with
multinational companies)

On the other hand, geared for younger Millenials that like new
technology, self-driving cars, and the dangers of them being
proprietary software. As well as what libreware alternatives are, or
are being developed.

https://www.osvehicle.com/faq/ (open source vehicle, for replacing car
software)
http://digitalbusiness.law/2016/06/self-driving-cars-and-open-source-wha
t-about-gplv3-and-anti-tivoization/

So it seems that pushing GPLv3 is Very important, for both medical
devices and self-driving cars since the anti-tivoization clause is
critical to having hardware which can be updated by the user.

I don't know if there is any promotional material on this specifically.
But I know a lot of people seem to dislike the anti-tivoization clause,
so it is important to both counter-argue and show the benefits thereof.

Tivoization has been an absolute nightmare for me personally, almost
every mobile device I have ever owned met its demise due to
tivoization. My first android phone became a brick because I tried
updating the software, and then I got a firefox phone, that bricked
also when updating, and then I got an android tablet full of adware,
the power button broke off, and there was no way of updating the
software to prevent it from getting stuck in "charging mode", so
that's a brick also.
In conclusion I have no mobile devices because the are all bricks --
most have gone to electronics recycling, others are waiting to.

So I think this is one reason it would make sense to have an official
statement that for any kind of AI/AGI software it Must be GPLv3,
because anything less would be simply inhumane.

We can extend that to anything that goes in the human body (implants),
as well as self-driving cars.

Do we have any kind of promotional material that brings together all
the arguments against GPLv3 and does a point by point breakdown?
I guess ideally there would be a video also.

- --
Logan Streondj,
A dream of Gaia's future.
blog: http://joyfullifestyle.ca
twitter: https://twitter.com/streondj

Speakable Programming for Every Language:
github: https://github.com/elspru/spel
intro: http://wyn.bot.nu/spel/src/vocab/gen/start.html

You can use encrypted email with me,
how to: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/
key fingerprint:
BD7E 6E2A E625 6D47 F7ED 30EC 86D8 FC7C FAD7 2729