Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Aseprite is now proprietary software

From: Pen-Yuan Hsing
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Aseprite is now proprietary software
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2016 16:24:41 +0100

On 02/09/16 15:59, Serge Hooge wrote:
It appears that the developer has posted an explanation here:

http://dev.aseprite.org/post/149797781837/new-source-code-license

Quite a shame, really.

I agree, this is quite a shame. I also think it is very important to not dismiss posts like these, and I have seen many of them!

1. This post made by the Aseprite author suggests that they have made an effort/tried to sustainably develop the software as free software.

2. Yes, it's true the post also contain points that indicate misconceptions on what free software means.

3. But rather than dismiss the post or hate the author for those misconceptions (which happens way too often!), it actually highlights that there is still *a lot* that needs to be done in terms of free software outreach and education to dispel misconceptions.

4. In addition to the management issues raised by the author, they also highlighted that they were not able to find a sustainable model to fund development and to stay alive. I strongly believe that this is a legitimate concern which the free software community has not adequately addressed, with Snowdrift.coop being one exception (I really hope it works!!).

5. Therefore I think it is worth addressing issues raised in the post in a *point-by-point* way.

In light of the above items, I believe it will be so useful to have a free software wiki page or FAQ (or some other thing) where it not only answers common questions or dispels common misconceptions, but also elaborates on specific concrete ways to *sustainably* manage a free software project and make a living doing it.

I've said this before in a post a long time ago, and have seen some of it addressed in disparate parts of the Internet. But I think a consolidated location would be great.

What do you think? Is there a good place for such a document/FAQ?