Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 79, Issue 9

From: Serge Hooge
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 79, Issue 9
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 11:10:57 -0400

John,

> The problem here is that the clarification included an escalation
> saying "and I'm sick of people complaining about everything being
> possibly offensive." I agree with Georgia's response to that
> escalation, reminding everyone that we are going to maintain
> standards of respectful and inclusive communication on this list. If
> someone does say that a joke or comment makes them uncomfortable, we
> are going to take that seriously, we are going to assume good faith
> on the part of everyone, and we expect others here to do that too. We
> are not going to respond to points people raise in good faith with
> slippery slope arguments about how anyone could theoretically
> complain about anything. The day someone *actually* says that saying
> "the ocean is blue" offends them is the day we will address that
> complaint.
First of all, thanks for *actually* explaining to me what the problem
was.

In my defense, it wasn't the clarification that prompted my comments,
it was the incredibly heated response *to* my and IngeGNUe's
explanation. I was incredibly uncomfortable with Bob's suggestion that
humor does not belong in a mailing list. I apologize if I came out as
rash and offensive, that was not my intention. And I certainly didn't
intend an "Ad Hominem attack" as somebody called it, nowhere in my
comments do I insult Bob or any other members of the list! At least
that certainly wasn't the intent.

I have mentioned numerous times that the particular comment of mine
that everyone has an issue with absolutely wasn't the main topic I was
trying to talk about and, again, the whole conversation could have been
avoided if that was explained to me a lot earlier. It was very weird
coming back to read people agreeing with the points I was trying to
raise (humor in a mailing list) all while seemingly criticizing me.

> So while the debate/discussion about the effectiveness of renaming
> companies and brands toward different free software movement goals is
> welcome here, the shots at the list's overall standards for respectful
> communication are not. Please abide that and keep the conversation on
> topic.
And that's all that I really wanted to know.

Again, I apologize for any confusion.
--
Serge Hooge

()  ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML e-mail
/\                        - against proprietary attachments