[libreplanet-discuss] Freedom-respecting GPS Watches

From: Harry Prevor
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Freedom-respecting GPS Watches
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 10:47:05 -0400

Hello,

As an endurance athlete I was wondering if there were any freedom-and-privacy-respecting GPS watches on the market? I'd like something that is small and wearable on a wrist (i.e. not a phone or phone app).

I ask on this list, because I backed the Leikr sports watch[1] when it was crowdfunding three years ago and I feel thoroughly disappointed in it. After hearing that it used the Linux kernel, Qt toolkit, and OpenStreetMap data for maps I was under the impression that it would be a mostly-libre watch but in fact it is nearly the opposite. I can't find any mention of their modified Linux kernel sources online and there is no way to programmatically interface with or develop for the device at all. In fact, all data upload and configuration is completely dependent on their proprietary web site and as far as I know there isn't even a way to get the GPS data stored on the watch without an internet connection! (I sent Leikr a request for the Linux and Qt sources today but that's beside the point of this email.)

[1]: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/903141699/leikr-the-new-danish-designed-gps-sports-watch/description

Thank you,

--
Harry Prevor