Re: [libreplanet-discuss] language of prisoner vs liberty software

From: John Martin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] language of prisoner vs liberty software
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 15:45:43 +0000

Logan, do  the translations given at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Proprietary+ help? Translations for 6 languages are given near the bottom of the page below the Thesaurus

--jam

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Serge Hooge <cuznez@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 09:33:22 -0400
Logan Streondj <streondj@gmail.com> wrote:

> Proprietary means it is owned, and held, that it's rights have been
> taken away. Thus it is a prisoner, it can not escape, it can not be
> mixed or copied.
>
> I suggest we use the term prisoner software in our propaganda, as it
> can be understood in the majority of languages by the majority of
> people .

While I see where you are coming from, I think "prisoner software" has
a bit too much of a negative connotation.

It would imply that the users are prisoners too, which, in a way
they are, but I am not too sure if it does well for the cause.

You could always use "non-free", which carries an idea similar to your
suggestion, while focusing on the freedom part.

Cheers,
--
Serge Hooge

()  ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML e-mail
/\                        - against proprietary attachments