Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What does the tech setup look like in

From: arthur_torrey
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What does the tech setup look like in
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:36:43 +0000 (UTC)

My experience is several years back, but I worked for a while as a substitute
teacher in the Tewksbury, M, USA school system, and ended up seeing the
computer stuff in most grades / schools in the system.  Regrettably it was all
Windows based, and the courses were very focused on using the specific version
of the exact program installed on the machines - i.e. to do a 'mail merge' pull
down this menu, select that option, etc...  I always thought this was bogus
even for proprietary software, given how often Microsoft changes their user
interface...

Unfortunately I am not sure given the current computer market, that there would
be ANY cost savings to a school system by switching to Free Software based
hardware...  At least in the US, you just about can't buy a machine that
doesn't come with a 'Free as in beer' copy of Windows, and often other
productivity software (as in the price is jacked up to cover the cost of the
license - but you can't get a refund....)  On top of that, Microsoft and
friends usually offer BIG 'educational discounts' in order to get students
hooked...  Also there are lots of grants from the "Bill & Melinda Gates
Foundation" (and others) to help schools, libraries, etc. cover the costs of
computer gear - with the unwritten string that they have to be Windows
boxes....  Giving up those grants and subsidies might even make it MORE
expensive to use Free Software....

This is going to make it a tough sell to get Free Software onto student
desks....

ART