Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Saving up for Laptop, Free Software Discussion

From: Jim Garrett
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Saving up for Laptop, Free Software Discussion
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 22:26:09 -0400

I was thinking along similar lines, except that EOMA68 won't have "real computing power" in the sense that you mean. However, if you need real computing power, set up an account on Amazon. You could install a Free operating system on it, I hope. Granted, you would be running it on someone else's hardware. This would give you more computing power than any laptop, luxury or otherwise. Of course, if your computing power really has to be local, such as processing audio on the fly, this approach won't work.

At work, I write and program with Emacs and R running a remote GNU/Linux desktop on a computing cluster. I'm in Cambridge (USA) and the server is in Switzerland. The latency is noticeable, but the computing speed is phenomenal.

A EOMA68 laptop might be the last laptop you buy, because every component is replaceable, and the computing core can be upgraded. However, it's my understanding that the design is focused on low wattage, so it will never be a heavy-computing system.

Have you read this?

        https://libreboot.org/faq/#intel

All Intel chips since 2008 have Intel Management Engine, including proprietary software, built into the processor. AMD followed soon after. If you're looking at a fully free system with an Intel or AMD chip, that chip is fairly old, so again you won't be getting "real computing power." For real computing power that is fully libre, check out

https://www.crowdsupply.com/raptor-computing-systems/talos-secure-workstation

but it's not a laptop.  And they're not selling individual units yet.

Good luck!

Jim Garrett
Melrose, Massachusetts, USA