Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC - "Like GNU" computer refurbish program.

From: Tiberiu
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC - "Like GNU" computer refurbish program.
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 16:41:26 +0200

Hi,

Regarding the branding, I just remembered that there is a paragraph
about using the GNU trademark on the GNU logo page:

https://www.gnu.org/graphics/agnuhead.html#license

I hope it helps. In any case, it's probably safer to ask
licensing@fsf.org and you'll get an official answer probably faster than
on this community mailing list.

Andri makes a very good point about the dangers the nonfree BIOS of the
donated laptops pose to the users and particularly to your target user
groups.

I appreciate that Will actually informs people about the firmware issue
and recommends the RYF-certified laptops. He also promises to teach
users about freedom and privacy and to only install fully free GNU
systems like Trisquel and gNewSense (may I also suggest Parabola and the
upcoming version of Dragora?)

https://www.parabola.nu/
https://www.dragora.org/repo.fsl/doc/trunk/www/roadmap.md

It's a lot more than others like ThinkPenguin do, who still don't even
mention the nonfree nature of the BIOS of their x86_64 computers. Not to
mention that the GNU/Linux distros they advertise for installation
aren't fully free, with one exception (Trisquel) - most of those don't
even have a free kernel.

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/korora-penguin-gnu-linux-notebook
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-pro-5b-gnu-linux-desktop

Will, I have a few questions for you:

1. Will you try to get donations of libreboot-supported computers more
than donations of other computers? And would you consider installing
libreboot on them?

2. Most laptops (even libreboot-supported ones) come by default
preinstalled with internal WiFi cards that require nonfree firmware. If
not replaced with software-freedom-respecting WiFi cards, WiFi won't
work in Trisquel and other fully free distros. Will you replace the
original WiFi cards with cheap WiFi cards (150Mbps will probably do, no
need for 300/450 Mbps Dual Band) that work with fully free systems?

Please let me know.

Thank GNU,
Tiberiu

--