Re: [libreplanet-discuss] UTF-8 banned from being default in Chrome, Fir

From: Andy Oram
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] UTF-8 banned from being default in Chrome, Firefox
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 17:29:27 -0400

Thanks for reporting this interesting gap in browser support, Nominal
Animal. I am not an expert in encodings or browsers, and I think the
situation for each browser may be more complicated than your email
suggests, but it looks like you have identified a problem. And it's
interesting given the following statements.

Andy

---

https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-choosing-encodings

"Choose UTF-8 for all content and consider converting any content in legacy
encodings to UTF-8."

https://www.w3schools.com/html/html_charset.asp

"The default character encoding for HTML5 is UTF-8."

Andy Oram  |  Editor
O'Reilly Media, Inc.  |  617-499-7479 |  oreilly.com

[image: oreilly_email_logo.png] <http://oreilly.com/>

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 5:10 AM, Nominal Animal <question@nominal-animal.net