Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GPLDL.com - Hottest archive for Premium GPL-li

From: Stefan Nagy
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GPLDL.com - Hottest archive for Premium GPL-licensed WordPress Themes & Plugins
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 18:47:09 +0100

Hi,

Am 03.12.2017 17:29 schrieb John F. Melone:
I recently came across GPLDL at https://gpldl.com. This site
redistributes thousands (!) of WordPress Products (Themes & Plugins)
which are usually sold by the developers for Free.

Yes, you can get all those free themes and plugins gratis there.
In my view it's a good thing that companies are able to make money
with their free products. If this wouldn't work, they (or someone else)
would still make money – but with proprietary software.

Two questions from me:

1. Is this site legit - according to the GNU Public License?

Sure. When you buy a plugin you get the source code licensed under the
GNU GPL, so you have every right to set up a 'free beer'-website and
share it with everyone else.

I'm not sure this is really the best way to support the project, but that's
another question…

2. Why has there never been any workshop or talk at Libreplanet in the
last years on this?

WordPress is by far the most important software powering the Internet
it is GNU licensed so redistributing commercial plugins and themes
should be a big deal.

Any thoughts from the community on this?

Yes, it's really great that Wordpress is free software :)

Two things I don't like: They use Google Fonts in all default themes,
see [1] and [2]. They use Gravatar (instead of Libravatar for example)
by default [3].

BTW,

Cheers,
Stefan.