[libreplanet-discuss] Any Libre Alternatives to Standard Accommodations

From: deborah
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Any Libre Alternatives to Standard Accommodations for LibrePlanet?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 01:45:32 +0100 (CET)

Greetings,

I am Deborah, and I am a 24-year-old libre software enthusiast, who is
interested in learning more about libre software and meeting people in the free
software world! I am a recent associate member of the FSF, and I am planning on
going to LibrePlanet for the first time this upcoming weekend. I will be
traveling from my state of NY to Massachusetts this weekend, and I have been
considering different ways of finding accommodation that are more in line with
a libre ideal.

I like the idea behind couchsurfing.com but not its implementation, in
particular, in regards to its terms of service and work in conjunction with
Facebook. I am really looking to have a more human way of spending time over in
Cambridge. I am also interested in alternatives to commercialized accommodation
itself. Additionally, for me, going to this conference is part of a fun
experiment in truth, and in trying to create links and community with people.

My plan, in regards to finding accommodation, has been to simply go to the
conference and talk to people there and ask individuals if they have some extra
space to spare for the night of Saturday for me to stay! However, I recently
learned from a friend about this discussion group, and I would like to ask in
an old-fashioned and humble fashion:

Do you have any suggestions to finding accommodations for this upcoming
LibrePlanet that may be in line with my aforementioned interests? Are you an
individual who has a place over in Cambridge who may be interested in hosting
me (just a space on the ground or couch for me to sleep) for the sole evening
of Saturday the 24th, who would first like to get to know me and see what comes
from there?

I consider it to be pertinent and interesting to start a dialogue about social
and technological alternatives to the accommodation industry, which is
currently being affected by companies that do not respect privacy and freedom
(as with most aspects of life now). Hopefully, this email can be a catalyst of
that conversation.

All the best,
Deborah