Re: [libreplanet-discuss] FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignati

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignation!
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:39:47 +0200

Il giorno giovedì 19/09/2019 12:29:53 -0700
Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net> ha scritto:

> It seems the public haranguing is so good at drawing emotion and
> attention that anything that doesn't fit the narrative gets ignored too
> often.
>
> And defending the accused in this bold public campaign way *does* fit
> the narrative.

What I mean by "defending RMS" is that FSF (in the sense of the people who
constitute it, the board and others in FSF) should not have intervened at all in
the matter and should not have pressured to lead to the resignation of RMS. But
it wasn't like that (just read the messages on the list and the topics on the
forum ...)

> [...]
>
> Don't take a pro-RMS or anti-RMS stance. Reject the premise of such
> stances. Don't call on the FSF to reject his resignation, participate as
> a member of the FSF community in working on the difficult challenges of
> what to do now. Do that with lots of listening along with proposing.

Just for clarity: what I said ("Please, those who think like me, make your
voice heard!") Is aimed at those who share the (original) principles and
purposes of GNU and FSF, to act * from within *, not to feed social idiocy.

> The broader social political reality we now have in the age of
> Zuckerberg et al is horrific, but we can't deny it. The FSF has to
> survive in this world, and we need to work together to figure out how to
> do that. Martyrdom for the whole org may not be the best tactic for the
> mission. We also don't want to send the signal that we can be bullied
> and will always give in to mob vigilante justice.

I'm not convinced of this.

The "survive in this world" strategy ends up leading to doing what one would
like to avoid, that is "fit the narrative". If FSF and its ideas of freedom,
along with so many other different entities in the world, have long been in a
slow decline, perhaps it is precisely because they have taken this approach.

On the contrary, I am led to believe that this type of realty must be
completely rejected; not to go to martyrdom, but to fight - and not in the
"territories" chosen by those who oppose us, and with "armaments" different
from those they want us to sell and make use of - knowing that we can also
completely perish.

> None of this is easy, and it doesn't help to draw dividing lines in the
> sand between different factions in the free software movement.

In fact it is not a question of creating divisions, nor can this help. But
perhaps divisions are (and were) already within the FSF, and then it is
necessary to take note of them.

And perhaps in FSF there are some who might not be there, or to have ideas and
feelings that are not compatible, or for their actions are (and were) more
contrary than in accordance with those of FSF.

Today some have asked, pushed and obtained the resignation of RMS, perhaps
after having been for so many years inside FSF with an adverse approach,
personalistic or idealistic... I wonder then: why they have not been to resign
in all this time? This is what many "simple" members are doing today without
any delay, for coherence and honesty...

Regards

--
al3xu5

Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and any industrial design restrictions.
Public GPG/PGP key block
ID:           4096 bit RSA key 69C5977BF94CFE23
Fingerprint:  59C6 9DC7 CD4B CF2F A190  E3DE 69C5 977B F94C FE23