Re: a special thank you

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Subject: Re: a special thank you
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 16:33:46 +0800

   On Thursday, September 26, 2019, Daniel Pocock <[1]daniel@pocock.pro>
   wrote:

     Hi everybody,
     I want to send a special thank you to those of you who have sent
     messages of support to victims of lynching and other hideously cruel
     behaviour in the free software community.

   Hi Daniel,

   I am also aware that there are some people who treat others in Software
   Libre with hatred, derision, and scorn.

   Speaking publicly about this is not just an embarrassment to them,
   *they actually get support for doing so*!

   There genuinely appears to be a perspective amongst a small group of
   people within the Software Libre Community that using their intellect
   to be spiteful, derisive and hateful of others is perfectly acceptable,
   disguised, often as it is, behind divisive and "acceptably"
   confrontational language.

   This hatred - and it is hatred - they are quite happy to spread to
   others, "warning" them to steer clear of the people who publicly
   highlight these same issues, making efforts to increase awareness of
   the effects that this ongoing hatred is having.

   In some communities, even those *with* a Code of Conduct, the Code is
   seen as only being applicable on an ad-hoc "convenience" (or,
   selective) basis. I have witnessed unbelievably spiteful attacks using
   language that clearly violates basic human dignity let alone any
   "Code".... *against people pointing out Code violations!*

   Yes, really: Person A reports a Code Violation by Person B, then Person
   C steps in and announces in no uncertain terms that Person A violated
   the same Code with their report, using such violent language that it is
   blindingly obvious that Person C committed *their own* Code
   Violation...

   ... *and nobody steps in to take them to task*!

   It is kafkaesque in its surreality.

   If this were Twitter or Facebook, at least it would be possible to hit
   "report", however we don't work that way. We don't allow ourselves to
   be subjugated by authority.

   It's therefore down to us to work this out.

   Now, I do have some ideas, however when raising them, there have been
   accusations of "tone policing". So instead I am going to ask what
   people think *would* help, here.

   What can be done to help people from all walks of life to work
   together, doing the things that they love?

   L.

   --
   ---
   crowd-funded eco-conscious hardware: