Re: “Get rid of digests”

From: Lori Nagel
Subject: Re: “Get rid of digests”
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2019 21:41:12 +0000 (UTC)

   I used to read digests cause I got too many emails and was on tons and
   tons of email lists about various topics of interest.  Now, for a lot
   of that stuff I just read message forums and don't bother with email.
   There is just no way I could keep up with the amount of conversation
   that goes on in those communities, and that is why they have forums
   rather than lists.  Lists are really only good for a small group of
   people that are frequently writing to each other. I'll be honest, a lot
   of my email is opt in marketing email or coordinating in person events
   with friends and groups I am involved with. (cause I for one don't
   answer phone messages, too much spam on the phone these days.)

   On Saturday, November 2, 2019, 12:10:42 PM EDT, J.B. Nicholson
   <jbn@forestfield.org> wrote:
   Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
   > Is there something wrong with them per se?  Except, that most of the
   > people have no clue how to use them properly, I mean.
   I find that most MUAs don't handle digests well and this creates
   needless
   thread breaking. I don't blame the software mishandling on the user.
   Digests also lead to followup posts with excessive quoted material from
   people who don't edit out the superfluous text. That I do blame on the
   user, as they could take time to edit that out, but I also blame on
   digests
   because the digesting (by its nature) gives users so much more text to
   work
   with.
   I don't believe digests have been in high demand for the past decade or
   so
   (based on what I have seen of the mailing lists I've administered).
   These
   days people seem to have no problem getting email accounts with high
   quotas. Storage seems to only get cheaper per volume with time. So I
   don't
   find storage-related arguments to be convincing. Paying for bandwidth
   the endpoint also strikes me as a poor argument; people don't seem to
   object to using webmail or mail client protocols which do a good job of
   letting people download the specific set of emails they want to read
   (IMAP,
   for example, and I think JMAP looks like it will continue in this way).
   Taken as a whole, I'm convinced that whatever benefit came from mailing
   list digests has passed and thus support for digested mailing is not
   worth
   taking on the complexity of "proper" (as you say) implementation or
   use.