Re: One word label for someone who rejects proprietary software

From: Robbt E
Subject: Re: One word label for someone who rejects proprietary software
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 19:42:35 -0500

   In regards to this ongoing conversation. I think the term "Libreware"
   is appealing because it is distinct from the gratis interpretation of
   freeware or "free software" - I have found myself usually FLOSS in the
   past or (free libre open source software) although I understand there
   is some animosity towards the corporate open source moniker I think
   that in theory it explains to people some of the underlying freedoms
   better than just the word "free".

   In regards to appropriation of the term "freegan" I would suggest that
   this will possibly just create more confusion as "freegan" is a term
   for someone who doesn't eat meat or dairy unless they find it in the
   dumpster or it would have otherwise gone to waste. It is also used by
   people who eat food secured from the waste of large corporate grocery
   stores that often throw out large amounts of food that is still edible
   because they are in the business of charging people for food not giving
   it away.

   I appreciate the emphasis on free software as a resistance movement and
   the analysis from a labor perspective rather than as simply someone who
   chooses to avoid using proprietary software. While I respect people who
   choose to avoid using proprietary software as a personal choice I think
   it is far more important that we build viable alternatives to the
   proprietary freedom limiting software and I think that abstention or
   boycott is one strategy but perhaps focusing on how libreware opposes
   domination in many regards might be effective as well.

   As far as using the term communist I suspect that word might be a
   little loaded by itself. But I do in general appreciate the emphasis on
   fighting for freedom, demanding freedom for others and the analysis.

   Thanks for the thought provoking discussion.

   Robbt (developer for the LibreTime project - a radio automation system
   built using libreware)