Re: Campaign to boycott Facebook

From: Federico Leva (Nemo)
Subject: Re: Campaign to boycott Facebook
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 09:16:20 +0200

Aaron Wolf, 24/02/20 17:55:
Leaving is better, but if someone*doesn't*  leave, they should at least
focus on consciousness-raising there. They can do so in replies as well
as posts.

Comments may be good, I agree. For instance you can comment when somebody makes an announcement or opens a conversation which excludes people who don't use Facebook, pointing out the problems. You can also comment on posts which violate copyleft, which are plenty: <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal/CC_BY-SA_on_Facebook>. On the other hand it's difficult to do this while claiming you're not on Facebook.

Never comment on misleading posts or posts you disagree with, because activity and controversy make them more visible.

I agree that it's likely they overall bury anti-FB posts, but
who knows, it's a black box.

There was some report about this in the last few months from a former employee, claiming there was a permanent monitoring of posts with the word "Facebook" in them, and not just to listen to feedback. I couldn't find the exact source though:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Criticism_of_Facebook&oldid=942532487#Content_critical_of_Facebook>

Federico