Re: Sacrifices made for Free Software

From: Roberto Beltran
Subject: Re: Sacrifices made for Free Software
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 14:39:12 +0000

 > > So, here's an opportunity to give a school an alternative to a
> > non-Free product and promote Free Software.
>
> I don't think it is an opportunity for us unless we get retributions.

Packback charges $25 per student per class so if the average student takes one
class with packback a semester and there are 6,500 students that's over $160k a
semester from one uni or maybe close to $400k a year with summer and winter
break sections. So there's definitely money there.

My idea would be to make the front-end libre, keep the back-end private (it's
not proprietary since it's communication logic that's not the user's
computing), anything that would be saass gets spun up separately with AGPL and
you're charging for access to the platform. You can get sources from within the
platform, unless there's open contribution on anything for some reason.