Re: Parabola-rM: Desktop GNU/Linux on E-Paper Tablet

From: Isaac David
Subject: Re: Parabola-rM: Desktop GNU/Linux on E-Paper Tablet
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 11:45:42 -0500

   On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 04:15, Davis Remmel <d@visr.me> wrote:

   Greetings libreplanet-discuss, I wrote a step-by-step instruction
   manual for installing Parabola to the reMarkable tablet using only-free
   software. The result is a 10.3" epaper---and I think this is the proper
   word---notebook that runs a full X graphical environment, with fast
   partial screen refresh. It works with USB OTG, and has a built-in EMR
   (Wacom) and capacitive touch digitizers.
   [1]http://www.davisr.me/projects/parabola-rm/install-guide-latest.pdf I
   also put up a project page.
   [2]http://www.davisr.me/projects/parabola-rm/ I hope this inspires some
   conversation about running Emacs in the sun. :) My own, biased, opinion
   is that it's lovely in '-nw' mode with an external keyboard. Enjoy,
   Davis

   I'm delighted to see that people keep porting Parabola ARM to more
   devices,
   it makes every minute we spent on its development worth it.
   If I were to buy an ebook reader, this might be the one. There weren't
   (m)any
   options compatible with free software before this, right? Not that I'm
   looking
   for one, but I remember the FSF's holiday-season ethical giving guide
   asking
   for an option to cover this area. Hopefully that might change for 2020.
   On a side note, I also find it amusing that the same phenomenon
   (electrophoresis) is used both in biochemistry/molecular biology for
   detecting
   stuff, say a DNA test, and for making ebook displays.

   --
   Isaac David
   Instituto de Neurobiologa, UNAM