Re: Advice Workplace that Forces Non-Free Software

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: Advice Workplace that Forces Non-Free Software
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 21:53:15 -0400

On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 09:51:35 +0300, Jean Louis wrote:
> Using non-free software, including centralized proprietary networks,
> and other digital evils, by an organization is danger to national and
> international security and concerns all people on this planet.
>
> You probably need examples on that.

I don't.  I understand you, my approach is just a little bit
different.  We seek very similar goals.

I don't believe there is any legitimate argument in support of the
existence of non-free software.  But where it does happen to exist, and
in a world where many people strongly disagree with that, I look for
practical ways to both advance our ideals and coexist with others.

>> The reason is that the best way to change an organization is often from
>> within.
>
> If it is not your organization, and you are not planner issuing
> policies, you have almost no recourse, you could beg for
> organizational changes and make proposals, but you have no
> control. Don't accept to be in suppressive oranizations.

That's often true, but it's also too much of a generalization.  I'll
leave it to people to evaluate this on a case-by-case basis.

--
Mike Gerwitz