Re: My Experience Selling Free Software

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: My Experience Selling Free Software
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 20:31:38 +0200

   Fantastic write-up, thank you for sharing, and congrats on your
   success.

   Best,

   Yuchen

   On Sat, Sep 12, 2020, at 6:59 PM, Davis Remmel wrote:

   Hello libreplanet-discuss,

   In my experience very few free software developers sell their work. I
   want to share my experience with selling free software, and why I think
   it's important for developers to realize why it's beneficial, and
   explain the psychological processes that compound to support the
   software _more_ than gratis-ware.

   As background, I've now exclusively developed free software for about 4
   years, and have just began selling it myself. Previously, I developed
   an industrial IoT platform built entirely with free software (real-time
   display of industrial processes, sidestepping proprietary vendors like
   Rockwell). This was not a consumer market, priced very high, and done
   contractually so the users were not casual consumers.

   This week, I released a piece of consumer-level free software, and in
   one week has generated over $500 in sales (45 paying users) from a
   single post on Reddit. As long as sales continue at the current pace
   (they have tapered off, but still making above the poverty limit) I am
   able to pursue writing all the free software I want, independently.

   For some background on why people buy my tool, it's because this
   tablet's manufacturer has crappy software, and there is only one other
   software vendor that also has crappy software. Usually, documents are
   transferred to this tablet via the manufacturer's cloud, but my tool
   transfers documents locally. Also, the manufacturer's software allows
   exporting of a user's documents, but they look like bad photocopies
   (they wanted to keep their pencil shading code proprietary)--my
   software has its own renderer, and produces images that actually look
   like what the tablet's screen shows. Coincidentally, my software
   exports these documents locally (secure), faster (rendered on-PC), with
   higher quality, and lower file sizes. Ergo, my software is plain
   better, and so it fills many consumer needs--this is a huge factor in
   why it sells (not just because its free). With a $12 purchase, I give
   customers 1 year of email support and updates. And, I have written a
   high-quality user manual that I showcase to let users know exactly what
   the software does before buying. My sales pitch is blunt,
   straight-forward, with no bullshit.

   The _bonus_ for customers is that my software is not restrictive. The
   other available clients are incredibly restrictive: one client uses the
   manufacturer's cloud (Google), and the other has typical proprietary
   ToS and charges 3x the price. The GPL lets the users share mine freely
   and spread it around. I don't care if they share copies because I have
   an advertisement for the 1-yr-support+updates in the About pane, and
   who wouldn't want updates and support for $1/month, especially when it
   fills a need in their daily workflow?

   So, with this background of my software and strategy, let me explain
   some psychological effects that happen with the customers. In
   gratis-ware, such as the common type of free software project, users
   will just stop using the software if it doesn't work for them. They
   didn't invest any money into it, and so they don't invest any of their
   own time to ensure they get their money's worth ($0). So, if the
   software doesn't work precisely right for them, they'll just stop using
   it. Or, if another software does something similar but also something
   else, they'll switch without a second thought.

   Two-fold, without charging money, if there is a bug in the gratis-ware
   the user will typically not submit a bug report, or if they try to it
   is locked behind some restrictive interface (a software forge with user
   accounts). The developer is left with no money, and no bug reports. My
   first release contained some blocker bugs (some users couldn't start
   the program) but they paid for it and wanted to get their money's
   worth. I offered support, and virtually all problems were fixed the
   next day with release #2, and my inbox has been pretty quiet since
   (except for payment notifications ;) ).

   To make it easy, I give my customers priority email. This doesn't
   require any account registrations, nothing blocking them from talking
   to me. I've developed a relationship with some of my more-enthusiastic
   customers, and some have offered to be testers; many have given me
   feature requests. In-exchange for testing, I give them perpetual gratis
   updates and support. This one-on-one communication comforts them,
   knowing that there's someone there to help immediately, and that
   _someone_ is the author himself. This personal relationship solidifies
   trust.

   So, if you want to be able to fund development, you have to charge.
   And, if you want to get bug reports, you have to charge---and give
   customers an easy way to do that (direct email to the author is
   convenient). With these bug reports, I make my software better, which
   lets it sell better, which continues the cycle of self-perpetuating
   development.

   Although I choose not to do this (to give a no-cost bonus), I think
   it's entirely possible to charge _more_ for free software. If one
   company sells 'seats' of their software for some $$, why wouldn't a
   customer want to pay a little more for an unlimited number of seats
   in-perpetuity (freedom)? As long as the software is good, fills a real
   need, and comes with support then people will buy it.

   --

   Davis

   [1]http://www.davisr.me/