A challenge for community to go beyond what's already rule

From: thiago
Subject: A challenge for community to go beyond what's already rule
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 13:08:28 -0200

   Hey there!

   Although I do support this kind of initiative (of new Libreboot laptop
   stores), and I am a supporter of libreboot / coreboot as well as Free
   Libre / Open Source Hardware, I would like to ask you all here:

   Couldn't we have more popular prices? What do we have to do to boost
   more popular projects?

   I mean, it's awesome the new store, but after opening it, I felt the
   same disappointment from before. I still wait for more popular & fair
   options. Who can & will pay for a retro with such prices? I can't, so
   seeing such stores feels like a distant dream.

   I am from a foreign country, with its money devalued in comparison to
   your currencies. These prices are for rich gringos, for your own people
   and not for a broader community. I will never have the chance to get a
   Librebooted ThinkPad from any of the sellers I know (and I would like
   to support you) simply because it becomes too expensive. I bet there
   are lots of young (or older) free software/hardware enthusiasts fom the
   UK that can't pay for these laptops, and no relativisms can make such
   prices seem fair.

   The community, I guess, lacks very much options for getting popular
   Librebooted ThinkPads. How to help expanding free software and hardware
   in scenarios like this? These prices are over, so we will never support
   your stores because we can't. We can just try to do it ourselves,
   paying fair prices getting used pieces (just as yours) from people that
   doesn't know that there are companies selling it for much more because
   it is "libreboot".

   Even when it comes to offering the service of installing Libreboot or
   whatever, I just see obscene prices. I buy a compatible ThinkPad with
   less than you (several stores) want to charge just for the service.

   Where are we going? Do we want to make things more popular and make the
   whole strong, or do we want a small community of FSF members and
   Librebooted laptop owners?!

   Best regards,

   Thiago

   05:59, November 20, 2020, "Leah Rowe via libreplanet-discuss"