Re: RMS is back on board

From: Danny Spitzberg
Subject: Re: RMS is back on board
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 08:06:01 -0700

   At the risk of oversimplification,...

   It is bad practice for a movement to protect people who behave badly
   and have demonstrated an unwillingness or inability to change their
   behavior — because they have made some good contributions.

   It’s ever worse practice to pretend people “well, actually” behave in
   good ways and that every single person who says otherwise can’t be
   believed because “in my experience” or “in my opinion” the person
   hasn’t seemed bad.

   Thankfully, the FSF seem open to learning:

Update on work to improve governance at the FSF

Summary of actions from the board and voting member meetings of Thursday,
March 25, 2021:

   The voting members unanimously agreed to elect a union staff member,
   selected by the FSF union staff, to be a full voting member and
   director. The first such representative will be elected as soon as the
   staff chooses one. The FSF will adopt by-law changes to implement this
   as a requirement going forward.

   The board of directors is soliciting proposals from qualified
   consultants to assist in creating a transparent, formal process for
   identifying candidates and appointing board members who are wise,
   capable, and committed to the FSF's mission. The FSF intends to rewrite
   the by-laws in a way that binds the organization to transparency in its
   choice of directors. This process will establish ways for FSF associate
   members and supporters to meaningfully contribute to the discussion.
   The board is looking for proposals to be received by Friday, April 2,
   2021. Please email [1]info@fsf.org with the subject "Director
   Transparency Engagement" for details.

   FSF president Geoffrey Knauth announced, "I commit myself to resign as
   an FSF officer, director, and voting member as soon as there is a clear
   path for new leadership assuring continuity of the FSF’s mission and
   compliance with fiduciary requirements."

   The board of directors will continue this work at its next meeting,
   scheduled for Sunday, March 28.

   From
   [2]https://www.fsf.org/news/update-on-work-to-improve-governance-at-the
   -fsf
   On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 7:53 AM Ivan J. <[3]parazyd@dyne.org> wrote:

     On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 09:44:32PM +0430, Ali Reza Hayati wrote:
     > I wrote this blog post:

     [4]https://alirezahayati.com/2021/03/25/fight-against-idiocy-support
     -rms/
     Thank you for this, it's a fantastic read. I'd urge anyone who can
     spread it.
     Best regards,
     Ivan