Re: Support RMS

From: Florian Snow
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 23:20:52 +0100

Hi Jean,

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
> * Florian Snow <floriansnow@member.fsf.org> [2021-03-26 22:11]:
>> Things have been different with RMS. He has consistently stood out for
>> years with bad behavior.
>
> Absolutely incorrect! How can you say that?

I've experienced it.  Please note that I'm not saying RMS behaved badly
at every occasion.  That wouldn't be true.  But there is unfortunately a
pattern here.  I wish it weren't so.  I would like it so much better if
I could admire RMS for his achievements and that would be it.  But
that's not the real world unfortunately, as much as I would like it to
be.

> But I have watched number of his speeches and I cannot say that there
> is anything near to "consistently standing out for bad behavior" --
> maybe you are consistently accepting rumours, try with introspection.

You're right, it doesn't usually happen during the speeches.  The
speeches focus on Free Software and are usually great.  That's why
I think just sometimes not saying much more would have been a good
choice.  It's usually what happens around the speeches that's
problematic.

> Somebody will be always offended for something. That does not harm a
> movement.

So if people don't work towards software freedom because they're put
off, that's not a loss to our community?  Because there's always a risk
of offending someone, we shouldn't try to phrase things more carefully?

> Neither your statements here advance software freedom.

You're right; they don't.  But they're important because I don't think
respecting people in regards of their computer usage is enough; we also
need to treat them with respect as people in general.  And that requires
proper communication.

> I don't find it proper that you use this mailing list to promote hate
> here

I chose my words very carefully and didn't assign any labels to anyone,
nor did I say anything hateful.  I simply stated that certain behaviors
are not acceptable.  I also left open the option that those behaviors
were simply mistakes.  I think that's a pretty fair approach.

> Yes? Philosophers have been promoting philosophies for centuries, they
> do act annoyed when philosophy apparently being understood is not
> understood.

We have a saying here that is something along the lines of "if everyone
jumps out the window, do you as well?" and it means that showing what
other people do is not a sufficient argument.  But ok, let's assume for
a moment treating people like that is acceptable.  Do you think as a
matter of strategy it is wise to yell at them?  Do think the arguments
become more convincing?  Or do you think it might deter people from
contributing?

> By reading your essey here one would assume RMS is some kind of
> abusive animal.

I don't think that of him and I would never claim that.  He is a human
being with flaws, like all of us.  We all have individual strengths and
weaknesses.  Some of us are suited to lead others because we engage
people from all kinds of backgrounds, some of us are less suited to that
task.  And some people who are currently not suited for it, can learn to
be.

Happy hacking!
Florian