Re: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 21:04:19 +0300

* Michael McMahon <michael@fsf.org> [2021-05-05 20:22]:
> sysadmin@fsf.org would be the address to report problems with
> media.libreplanet.org's settings.
>
> Have you checked if this setting is in mediagoblin upstream?o

Such email address or other contact should be on the website. I have
not verified if it is on the website, I just think that Miroslav did
put attention to try to find webmaster and it was not findable.

This is more user's usability question, not programming question. Luck
is that users like Miroslav are educated and wish to research.

It is however not a solution to tell to user to look into upstream.

One has to understand there are many visitors to the website, and
pre-loading of a video may drive some of them away. There is no and
should be no expectation that visitors to website know what is
"upstream" neither to know how to search for the code.

Though Miroslav was quite knowledgable, he probably did not look into
the HTML source. And he is way advanced user.

Videos are designed to be played for rather simpler users, especially
for public.

Searching here is for me almost impossible. I cannot search code by
using WWW interface. Maybe there is way, but it is not intuitive.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/mediagoblin.git/tree/

Interface allows to search for log messages, not for code, so I could
find following:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/mediagoblin.git/commit/?id=316ede4705db16ab7c1e6220c3e3442012d03e0f

It seems that in 2013, the auto play was set to false by default.

That could mean that current webmaster decided to turn it on, on that
specific instance.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/