Re: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue

From: Miroslav Rovis
Subject: Re: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 23:27:13 +0200

I'm glad to see from Michel's email, that there is progress
in fixing this issue, as well as that adding contact info
into https://media.libreplanet.org pages is in plan.

I probably can not be of much use in that, so I'm replying
to Jean's email only, and leaving out replying to
campaigns@fsf.org and sysadmin@fsf.org since the issue is by now
well known.

On 210505-18:51+0300, Jean Louis wrote:
> * Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@croatiafidelis.hr> [2021-05-05 17:08]:
> > But since you're on bugs at gnu (as your email says), I hope
> > my lead and your explanation is sufficient to make the
> > change, and I hope it will just happen, silently is fine for
> > me.
>
> Definitely not, I do not represent GNU project, I just support GNU
> project.
I see.

> Libreplanet.ORG is not GNU project, it is FSF's project. You can
> try reporting to: campaigns@fsf.org
Of course, I understood that already before, just I try and do
things too quickly, and temporarily mix up in my mind.

> > > In many countries people pay good amounts for data, and often Internet
> > > is not fast, it could take many hours to load such video.
> > It is also that analysis is more than an order of magnitude
> > slower than simple browsing. I can't know what I take into
> > my machine quickly even with year 2020 launched modern
> > (commodity) processor machine (AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 4750G), with
> > unnecessary preloading like this, that only analysis can
> > tell what it (likely) is.
>
> As I work with Website Revision System in background, I have today
That's:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_management
and at:
https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-webpages.html#M201805080
but I'm still not so sure what you mean in your case.
> reworked a plugin for my own publishing that by default no
> video will
Can you give a link to some of your published pages, if
you find time?
> preload. None was preloaded by default even before, but
> discussion as here helped me realize what is important.
>

> > tools, but the network is not optimized for analysis, it's optimised
> > for quick use, not analysis...
>
> To avoid that confusion, next time you can simply use right mouse
> click and option Inspect Element or just F12 in Firefox-based
> browser, then you go to Network tab, reload and watch for things.
It doesn't usually happen. To the contrary, this is once in
very long time that I get such a huge download started by
preloading, in very long time...

But your advice is taken note of.

> Recommended reading:
>
> How to Run a More Secure Browser
> https://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/handbook/RunSecureBrowser/
>
> When I wish to invoke URL by using the above mentioned DragonFlyBSD
[...]
Currently use Vim. But a very good link there you gave. Will
take time to figure out how to deploy that wisdom for me.

This is something I'm sure I will need too:
> This allows access to your X Server from other user's space, but is
> insecure if you are in some local network. If you are behind firewall
> it is pretty alright.
>
> $ xhost +
>
> You must be sudoer in /etc/sudoers and have to configure another user
> name on the system. You then launch a browsre like `iceweasel'
>
> $ sudo su -c -- ANOTHER-USER -c iceweasel
>
> Then browser will launch in other user's space.
>
> The assumption is that in that user's space you should not keep any
> sensitive private files.
Of course.

Regards!

--