Re: list moderation [was: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing

From: Miroslav Rovis
Subject: Re: list moderation [was: media.libreplanet.org non-requested confusing auto download issue]
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 19:34:21 +0200

On 210524-08:47-0500, quiliro@riseup.net wrote:
> Greg Farough <gregf@fsf.org> writes:
> > On Sat, May 08 2021, Miroslav Rovis <miro.rovis@croatiafidelis.hr> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi! See below when I sent the message! At the time of
> >> sending it does not appear on:
> >> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2021-05/index.html
> >> I.e. I sent it more than 15 hours ago.
> >
> > We actually manually approve every message that comes through
> > libreplanet-discuss. They won't appear in the archives or on the list
> > until we approve them, hence the delay.
>
> Wow!  This seems a rather laborious and unnecessary task.  Automatic
> functions need to be censored to do what users desire.  Why would users
> need to be censored?  Organizational objectives and peer union are
> enough to control trolls.

Well, if you look up:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2021-05/msg00081.html
where I ask:
BTW, I didn't send my two email to Leah only, but to the list. How come then
Leah's reply:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2021-05/msg00077.html
is there, but neither of my emails is?

However, now they are, use the thread view:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libreplanet-discuss/2021-05/threads.html#00079

It's because a dev like Leah gets complete trust, but my emails need to be read
first. That's fine, only I didn't understand it at first. And so I asked.

This method is laborious, but it might be very honest, esp. wrt what some other
groups, and not so unknown, are doing... There are even places, fora, ML where
you are told about backward moderation (or somesuch, I may not remember the
exact term). What they do is let your message appear, but later, even much
later, rearrange the whole thread, and remove the messages they do not agree
with. Your public image can get really distorted.

Sadly, moderation may be necessary, for reasons of spam, real hate speech,
unwarranted attacks, publication of libelous data or personal private data, and
other things, but the *backlog moderation* (yeah, I remember that's been the
exact term) is insane. Sometimes it amounts to soft-killing of a persons image.

Regards!

--
Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia