Re: Avoiding paying Windows license in the US

From: Julian Daich
Subject: Re: Avoiding paying Windows license in the US
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 23:46:33 +0200

El dom, 30 may 2021 a las 14:14, Jean Louis (<bugs@gnu.support>) escribió:

> You should read EULA, so far I remember, by non-acceptance of the EULA
> you may get the refund. I do not know what license is in your case,
> why not read it exactly?
>
> More references:
> http://marc.merlins.org/linux/refundday/
>
> https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-General/How-to-get-refund-on-unused-Microsoft-OS/td-p/3337455
>
> https://www.theregister.com/2008/12/04/dell_windows_eula_israel/

Hi Jean,

Thank you. Here is a more up to dated reference
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundling_of_Microsoft_Windows
I contacted a local mailing list in Boston and it seems that getting
refunded only for the OS is a hard and time consuming process.

> "By using this software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept
> them, do not use the software. instead, contact the manufacturer or
> installer to determine their return policy for a refund or credit."

I talked today with an HP representative. for almost 40 minutes Their
position was taking it as it comes with WIndows or returning the
laptop to be refunded for all.

My decision is to return the laptop and getting a cheaper second hand
one instead.

Best,

Julian