Re: MS Teams and Windows 11

From: Federico Leva (Nemo)
Subject: Re: MS Teams and Windows 11
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 12:24:26 +0300

Il 26/06/21 10:01, Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss ha scritto:

I am not sure if the FSF legal department can take a look at this, as it may be something that the FSF, FSFE, EFF and others need to scrutinize to see if there is a violation in competition law.

AFAIK the European Commission is "looking at it" since last year.

«The European Commission confirmed it received the complaint and said it will “assess it under our standard procedure.” Slack General Counsel David Schellhase told reporters that the company is also “having conversations with relevant U.S.” authorities,” adding it’s not ruling out actions in other jurisdictions. “Microsoft is reverting to past behavior,” said Schellhase in the statement. The company “created a weak, copycat product and tied it to their dominant Office product, force installing it and blocking its removal, a carbon copy of their illegal behavior during the browser wars.”»

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-22/slack-takes-on-rival-microsoft-with-antitrust-complaint-to-eu

The idea that Teams is "a copycat product" is a distraction (Slack is just one chat system like dozens others), but the tie-in argument has teeth.

Federico