Re: LibreJam - FSF* should host a Libre Game development tournament!

From: Jacob Hrbek
Subject: Re: LibreJam - FSF* should host a Libre Game development tournament!
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 06:07:30 +0000

> This might be fun, but it would be a lot of work and would need leaders who are familiar with free software game development, plus leaders who know how to run an event. -- RMS

Agree, i asked relevant developers who have experience with Free Software Game Development to join the list and provide their insight + I try to contact people organizing open-source / linux game jams to help with organization.

I already talked with some of them in terms of organization and i've compiled this list of suggestions: 1. provide a handling for "troll submissions" which are usually very common in game jams.
2. Consider providing a theme
3. Ban any non-free game engines and any non-free tools e.g. to require using GNU GIMP instead of A$ Photoshop.
4. Ban any non-free game assets excluding Creative Commons.
5. Require the game license to be GPLv3 complying
6. Clarification whether the developer can work solo or in a team (teams usually have an advantage over solo developers) 7. Require that the game be developed after the event started (to avoid people submitting their long finished games to give everyone a fair chance) 8. Game requiring minimum of X ratings (assuming the community deciding which game should win) to be placed in leaderboard. 9. The game jam should be a recurring event e.g. 4x a year as one-time game jams are not appealing to the game development as the main advantage to participating is to get promotion to sustain the further development. 10. In general the price pool for game jams is crowd sourced once the game jams gets to be known enough for sufficient amount of people to participate, but new game jams should have an initial price pool and method for people to donate to it. The target price pool should be in $$$$ range that enables the top 3~8+ submission to get a sufficient economical boost to help with development. Without price pool the games usually end up being an abadonware. 11. Fork policy as forking an already finished/worked on game gives the contestant an advantage, but open-source game jam should have this allowed assuming that their fork provides a significant functionality (maybe a separate category?) 12. Provide a list of Free Software Tools so that people who are not familiar with Free Software has the resources to know how to participate. 13. The event should be announced +- 1 month in advance with a heavy promotion and usually the theme is announced at the day where the event starts to avoid people working on a game prior to the event to get an unfair advantage. 14. The open-source jam <https://itch.io/jam/open-jam-2020> provides a "Open-Source Karma" points which are points for following best practices alike provided README, etc.. that increase the change of win, this should also be included in LibreJam.

1. I wanted to include Free Software Australia. i know that they are not part of FSF, but they are a group of volunteers spreading Free Software in Australia that are compatible with values of FSF such as https://freesoftware.org.au/hardware-and-software-recommendation. So i though that they might provide their point of view on this proposal. They can be excluded from the discussion if you feel like it's inappropriate.

2. My fault! Moved the discussion from fsf-community-team to libreplanet-discuss.