Re: LibreJam - FSF* should host a Libre Game development tournament!

From: Jacob Hrbek
Subject: Re: LibreJam - FSF* should host a Libre Game development tournament!
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 18:07:19 +0000

I agree that one game jam won't cause a sudden influx of free software
games.. From my experience I think the effects of it will be seen after
+- 3rd iteration assuming that we are able to provide a sufficient:
1. promotion
2. economical support
3. preparation time (at least 1 month in advance)

for the game developers to keep their development going after the game jam.

I also agree that game jam submission usually get abandoned for reasons
highlighted in previous e-mail (in short due to the development
sustainability), but game jams with sufficient promotion are usually
maintained after the jam ended unless the theme was to make a short game
e.g. (random selection of games from LudumDare that seems to be
complying with GPLv3):
1. https://github.com/cagibi-dev/warhead-stroll Ludum Dare 49 ("LD49")
submission https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/49/warhead-stroll
2. https://github.com/HolyBlackCat/LD49-brimstone LD49 submission
https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-d
are/49/brimstone
3. https://github.com/Jezzamonn/dogsplusplus LD49 Submission
https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/49/dogs
4. https://github.com/MausGames/last-fall LD49 submission
https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/49/last-fall
etc..

And even if the game gets abandoned in Free Software Game Jam then
anyone can take over and maintain if which i assume will happen on
regular bases if the submission is good.

Also if our goal is to stimulate development of Free Software games then
we should adapt the game jam to discourage making a short games (lot of
game jams are done for development exercise that are designed to not be
developed after the jam ended).