Re: Libreoffice - license

From: Ade Malsasa Akbar
Subject: Re: Libreoffice - license
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 18:30:06 +0700

Hello, Paul Sutton.

On 13/12/21 01.41, Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss wrote:
I am trying to write a short article about LibreOffice, [...] Is this still free software in the way the FSF define it?

Since 2010, the FSF recommends LibreOffice as free software to my knowledge. Another references you can find by doing a search at FSF.org with a keyword of "libreoffice".

2010 https://www.fsf.org/working-together/gang/openoffice.org

"A major contribution to the free software community, LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org both compete against proprietary office suites while promoting the OpenDocument format (ODF)."

2011 https://www.fsf.org/news/openoffice-apache-libreoffice

"[...] there's a ready replacement for people who want a productivity suite that does more to protect their freedom: LibreOffice."

And since 2011, LibreOffice exists at Free Software Directory https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/LibreOffice.

Sincerely yours,

Ade Malsasa Akbar