Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Theodore Somers
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 20:31:16 -0800

On 1/18/22 20:16, Richard Stallman wrote:

   > I think that none in Free Software would support being forced to use
   > proprietary software filled with malware that injects malware in their
   > free software with hardware designs it is the exact same situation just
   > instead instead of "compiler" you have "fabricators".

You're right that the two are similar.  But there is a crucial
difference.  We can get around the problems at the level above the
processor level by writing software.  We can't deal with the problems
inside the processor that way.

Suppose a processor has malicious functionalities.  There are three
ways it is likely to be implementd:

1. By unchangeable circuits.

2. By firmware in ROM.

3. By secret firmware in RAM.

These three are equivalent because, in all three, we are equally
helplsss.  In theory, in case 3 reverse engineering would be able to
fix it.  But we can't do any reverse engineering -- we can encourage
people to do such it.

Thus, we treat all three cases the same.

Case 2 may also be fixable if the rom chip is on the board (depending on how difficult it would be to replace without damaging the rest of the system). If it is feasible to replace the rom, then it would simply be a problem of reverse engineering.