Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:17:57 +0300

* Jacob Hrbek <kreyren@rixotstudio.cz> [2022-01-28 23:35]:
> I disagree, majority if not all hardware has some form of indexing and
> identification. For example this 3DSimo pcb has silkscreen that identifies:
> - Production batch (teal)
> - Link to a source code (green)
> - OSHW logo indicating that it's hardware files are publicly available
> (yellow)

That is great that free hardware design exists and you have sent
picture to mailing list that brings more reality about it.

What I cannot agree to is to call it "open source hardware" as that is
misleading, it is also contrary to "free software". As open source is
not necessarily free software. There is a lot of confusion.

Maybe you do not see it. Research. Term "open source" is also used as
term for proprietary software with published sources. It is used for
variety of products worldwide.

It brings a lot of confusion in the future of hardware that is
supposed to be free.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman