Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware

From: Jacob Hrbek
Subject: Re: FSF continuously harms Free Hardware
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 20:21:10 +0000

> RMS doesn't agree with focusing on Free Hardware (or whatever you
call it). You could try doing it separately and get fsf buy in after the
fact. Or try to convince other fsf officials or the general membership.
-- Payne
> I'm not saying the end goal is bad. I would like to see more Free
Hardware but FSF isn't going to do development of Free Hardware. Their
endorsement isn't that important at this point. -- Payne

it is already done separately by FSF supporters who use GPLv3 for it and
FSF is too involved in such development for it to be ignored without
sabotaging the development thus why i am raising this issue here.

So the time for FSF to pitch in is now and FSF's endorsement has a major
impact on free hardware development.

+ from my talks with other FSF supporters and BoD members it seems that
majority supports it.

On 1/30/22 17:45, Dennis Payne wrote:
RMS doesn't agree with focusing on Free Hardware (or whatever you call
it). You could try doi
ng it separately and get fsf buy in after the
fact. Or try to convince other fsf officials or the general membership.

However I don't see the end result being a flood of great Free
Hardware. The Respect Your Freedom campaign hasn't suddenly transformed
the few participating laptop/workstation/server vendors to industry
juggernauts. Any Free Hardware site is going to have even less end-user
products.

--
Dennis Payne
dulsi@identicalsoftware.com